Summer flowers are meant to be shared, so don’t let not having the right vase deter you from spreading joy! With a little creativity and simple supplies from your recycling bin, you can craft a rustic country vase in less than five minutes. Then, simply add your favorite cut flowers from your garden for a messy and carefree bouquet that anyone would be delighted to receive. I’m excited to show you my favorite tips for how to upcycle a glass bottle in order to share the joy of summer blooms.
What Kind of Glass Bottles Can You Use for Upcycling?
Upcycling simply means repurposing, reusing, or recycling something that might otherwise be discarded. Giving new life to items that might otherwise be thrown away adds character, interest, and creativity around the home and is a wonderful way to preserve and care for our earth.
Here are some ideas for glass bottles that would be perfect for upcycling and using for your summer flower bouquets, whether for your own kitchen table or to share with a friend.
- Salad dressing bottles
- Wine bottles
- Glass soda bottles
- Vinegar bottles
- Glass cooking oil bottles
- Any thrifted jars
What are the Best Flowers to Grow for Flower Arrangements?
If you want to grow your own flowers and aren’t sure where to start, here are some of my favorite, easy flowers to grow for cut flower arrangements.
Materials You’ll Need for Your Country Vase
- 1 glass jar with a long neck
- 24” of twine or other rope-like string
- Flowers cut to the length of your bottle
How to Upcycle a Glass Bottle into a Country Vase
- Firstly, wash and dry your bottle.
- After that, cut the twine or rope, and tie the ends around the neck of the bottle.
- Next, wrap the twine around the top of the bottle. Keep wrapping until you come to the body of the bottle. Then, tie the two ends of the twine together with a double knot to secure it. After that, trim the ends.
- Fill the bottle with water.
- Lastly, add your flowers!
- Optionally, you can cut another length of twine 10″-12” and tie a bow around the wrapped portion for an added touch.
Spread Joy With Your Upcycled Glass Bottle
This country vase is perfect for making your own home more welcoming or for sharing with a friend. If you already have flowers, it costs next to nothing to make and is a wonderful way to share the love of summer with a neighbor or loved one.
Looking for more simple, creative gift ideas? Here are a few of my favorites.
- Thyme and Lemon Garden Hand Scrub
- Hand Sewn Rose Petal Cloth Sachet
- Handmade Glycerine Soap With Dried Marigolds and Gemstones
- Seashell Beeswax Candles